Go Deeper, Go Longer with Sydney Dive Safari
Experience the deep peace of a free falling and the buzz of completing a deep dive. The Level 2 Freediving Course focuses on the "free fall" and perfecting the Frenzel equlisation technique.
It's time to become acquainted with the free fall. As we go deeper our lungs and wetsuit become more and more compressed by the pressure of the water and we use this technique to effortlessly descend to greater depths without the need for kicking. It's like flying underwater! Usually occurring between 15 and 20 metres, with efficient breath-ups this technique becomes not only comfortable but a useable skill, enabling us to go deeper, easier. The key is complete relaxation of mind and body. Free falling is often referred to as the most beautiful thing there is in freediving, so do not miss out!
This Advanced Freediving Course, or Level 2 Freediving Course will equip you with further knowledge of bradycardia, buoyancy, thoracic and full lung stretching and how to increase your mammalian dive reflex. You will learn advanced ”Frenzel” equalisation techniques, work on longer breath-holds, and understand how to be mentally prepared and confident during dives. You will learn new training methods such as CO2 training tables and develop the skills necessary to freedive beyond 20 metres to depths of up to 30 meters.
- Internationally recognised freediving certification.
- Pool training in conducted in a heated pool.
- Free transport is provided to the pool and the dive sites.
- Maximum 4:1 student to instructor ratio.
The Advanced Freediving Course is made up of online learning, equalisation workshops, a pool or confined water session and open water training.
- ACADEMICS. When you book onto the Freediving Course you will be given access to the SSI Online Training program. You can then learn at your own pace when it is convenient for you. There are several sections to complete in the comfort of your own home and a multiple choice exam which will be conducted at our store on Day 1 of the course.
- POOL TRAINING. Day 2 of the course is where you will develop advanced freediving skills in a controlled confined water environment. Once you are comfortable in the pool, it's time to dive where the real action takes place - the open water.
- OPEN WATER SESSION. Day 3 of the course is spent in the ocean and is typically conducted at Lilli Pilli (weather dependent). During the day you will complete several dives and have the chance to experience everything you learned in the pool hands-on. After successful completion of your open water training dives you will become a certified Level 2 Freediver!
- The minimum age to participate is 15 years old (a parent's or guardian's consent is required for participants under 18 years old.)
- Be certified as an SSI Level 1 Freediver, or hold an equivalent certification from another recognised certification agency.
Students are expected to use their own personal equipment, however snorkel equipment is available for hire. You will find it harder to meet the performance requirements in hire gear as it is not specific freediving equipment.
- Freediving wetsuit (two-piece, open cell with integrated hood); 3mm wetsuits would be okay in summer, 5mm are better at other times of year. If you have a surf or dive wetsuit, you should have a hood, or hooded vest as well. Bear in mind what’s warm enough for surfing or scuba diving may not be warm enough for freediving as you’ll spend a lot of time being very still on the surface of the water with a slow heart rate.
- Freediving fins (long bladed) and booties or wetsuit socks.
- A rubber weight belt and around 4 to 6 kgs of weights (a fabric weight belt is suitable but it will move around your waist).
- Low-volume freedive mask, and a snorkel.
- A freedive computer (Level 2 only).
- Transfers and cancellations are possible without penalty 14 days outside the scheduled dive course.
- If you wish to transfer your booking within 14 days from your scheduled dive course or fail to complete the required online study prior to course commencement you will incur a 50% transfer/administration fee plus a $20 re-booking fee.
- If you cancel your booking within 14 days from your scheduled dive course or fail to attend you will forfeit the full cost of the course. Refunds are not possible within 14 days.
- All dive courses must be completed within 180 days of the original scheduled start date.
- View Sydney Dive Safari's full Terms & Conditions.