Learn to Freedive with Sydney Dive Safari
The Level 1 Freediving Course is the introduction to the purest form of diving. Learn proper breathing techniques, familiarise yourself with diaphragm breathing and take a deep breath like you never have before.
No matter where you live, freediving is an exhilarating, year-round activity. Whether it’s exploring a beautiful ocean reef, a local lake or river, there is a freediving experience close by. Freediving Sydney is just on your doorstep!
The Level 1 Freediving Course provides you with the proper skills and knowledge to freedive depths between 10 and 20 meters in the most relaxed and safest manner possible. You will develop the necessary skills to train your body to be more efficient with oxygen, gain better respiration and muscle flexibility and learn skills to take your freediving to the next level.
- Internationally recognised freediving certification.
- Pool training in conducted in a heated pool.
- Free transport is provided to the pool and the dive sites.
- Maximum 4:1 student to instructor ratio.
The Freediving Course is made up of three components: online learning, a pool or confined water session and open water training.
- ACADEMICS. When you book onto an Freediving Course you will be given access to the SSI Online Training program. You can then learn at your own pace when it is convenient for you. There are four sections to complete in the comfort of your own home and a multiple choice exam which will be conducted at our store before you go to the pool on Day 1 of the course.
- POOL TRAINING. Day 1 of the course is where you will develop basic relaxation and freediving skills in a controlled confined water environment. Once you are comfortable in the pool, it's time to dive where the real action takes place - the open water.
- OPEN WATER SESSION. Day 2 of the course is spent in the ocean and is typically conducted at Lilli Pilli (weather dependent). During the day you will complete several dives and have the chance to experience everything you learned in the pool hands-on. After successful completion of your open water training dives you will become a certified freediver!
- The minimum age to participate is 12 years old (a parent's or guardian's consent is required for participants under 18 years old.)
- All participants must complete a Medical Questionnaire. If any of the questions are flagged as "Yes" you will need to gain medical clearance from a doctor prior to participating. Please ensure you complete this Medical Questionnaire before the start of your Freediving Course.
- You must be able to swim 200 metres without stopping. There is no time limit for this and you may use any swimming stroke(s) you want.
Students are expected to use their own personal equipment, however snorkel equipment is available for hire. You will find it harder to meet the performance requirements in hire gear as it is not specific freediving equipment.
- Freediving wetsuit (two-piece, open cell with integrated hood); 3mm wetsuits would be okay in summer, 5mm are better at other times of year. If you have a surf or dive wetsuit, you should have a hood, or hooded vest as well. Bear in mind what’s warm enough for surfing or scuba diving may not be warm enough for freediving as you’ll spend a lot of time being very still on the surface of the water with a slow heart rate.
- Freediving fins (long bladed) and booties or wetsuit socks.
- A rubber weight belt and around 4 to 6 kgs of weights (a fabric weight belt is suitable but it will move around your waist).
- Low-volume freedive mask, and a snorkel.
- A freedive computer (Level 2 only).
- Transfers and cancellations are possible without penalty 14 days outside the scheduled dive course.
- If you wish to transfer your booking within 14 days from your scheduled dive course or fail to complete the required online study prior to course commencement you will incur a 50% transfer/administration fee plus a $20 re-booking fee.
- If you cancel your booking within 14 days from your scheduled dive course or fail to attend you will forfeit the full cost of the course. Refunds are not possible within 14 days.
- All dive courses must be completed within 180 days of the original scheduled start date.
- View Sydney Dive Safari's full Terms & Conditions.